Friday, January 26, 2007

#5 Creative Thinking

Subscribe through iTunes

Making Meaning


This is an honest effort on my part to talk about the process of creating work that says what you mean, or to put it another way, keeping your work within the boundaries you've set according to your personal values and goals.
The book that sparked this introspective podcast is Darkroom to Digital, by Eddie Ephraums. The supplied link takes you to the Amazon page. Eddie's home page is still under construction.

I spend a few moments talking about Socrates and his statement "the unexamined life is not worth living" because encapsulates the need to the creative individual, if not every individual, to consider the meaning and purpose of their life. You can read a concise summary of his trial here.

On page 26 Eddie’s book I look at 5 questions he asks himself as an artist to clarify his goals. I highly recommend it, regardless of what medium you work in. His writing style is straight forward and concise. It’s the kind of writing that brings new understanding each time you read them.

Taking Chances

I feel like I'm still getting my bearings creating this podcast. I also feel that perhaps it was premature to wander away from concrete and technical matters, such as production issues and class schedules. And yet, I've also made a commitment to myself to experiment and take risks. That includes embracing the sure possibility of failure.

A couple of quotes I often think of regarding failure are "if you're going to fail, fail boldly" and the other is "It isn't the falling down and failing that is the problem, it is the falling down and not getting up". I could do a podcast on interviews with people on failure, how they cope with it, what it means to them, failures that have shaped their lives. Not a bad idea.

Introspection and soul searching are going to occur from time to time throughout this podcast as I try to figure the meaning of what people are telling me and whether it's something I can, or should integrate into my own life.

Chapter times

  • Discovering Meaning in your work :12
  • Darkroom to Digital - about the book :52
  • The unexamined life 2:19
  • 5 guides for creativity 3:57
  • 5 guides quote 4:36
  • What I'm saying, what are people hearing 4:55
  • Developing your vision 8:04
  • Sharing your vision 8:26
  • Avoiding sidetracks 9:47
  • Closing remarks 11:11
  • Next week 12:55

Production notes

I was having some problems with the audio going into the red in Garageband. I didn't see any distortion in Soundtrack, but it was hitting 0db continuously. I used the Levelator from Gigavox media to see if it made a difference. The audio sounded fuller and I can see it made changes, but it was still running too hot. I looked at the modified audio in Soundtrack and the levels looked fine. Maybe there's a setting in Garageband that's off.

I'm going to trust Soundtrack, and by extension Levelator and put the podcast out as it is. Let me know if you think the levels are still too high. If anyone has any experience with Levelator let me know how it's treating you. I don't want to rely on a black box, I want to know how to control audio in a program like Soundtrack Pro or Pro Tools. Right now, I'm going to be satisfied knowing I'm not blowing out anyone's eardrums.

Let me know how I can make any improvements. Submit a comment or email me.
 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.